Baby Layette Clothing: A Little of Everything for Your Newborn
There are so many things that you have to prepare if you are a first-time mom. Aside from the nursery, you also have to think about buying all the needed things that should be included in the baby layette. As such, before you even pack your bags for the hospital, you should already have bought the baby layette clothing that your newborn needs for the first few weeks he will have with you and the rest of the family.
If you are unsure as to what should really comprise the baby layette clothing, here is a checklist that you can use so you will never miss out on anything. Although these are just the five basic baby layette clothing items that you can buy, these are already enough to give you a head start with your baby layette.
▪ 0-3 months-sized t-shirts and onesies. These items are the most basic when it comes to baby layette clothing. However, because they are the ones that are most obviously needed, there is also a tendency that they are forgotten. As such, you should always put these on top of for your list. Although there are so many styles and designs available for t-shirts and onesies, don’t get overwhelmed, the plain white ones will do in the beginning regardless of the gender of your baby.
▪ Booties and pajamas. No matter what season your child was born in, one thing is always the same and it is that he or she will sleep at an average of 18 hours every day. As such, it is very important they are comfortable at all times. This is where the booties and pajamas come into play in your baby layette clothing. You just have to remember to thin one sleepers made from cotton for warmer weather though and the heavier footie pajamas for the colder weather. Also keep in mind that in buying pajamas for your baby layette clothing, it is best to buy those that have buttons instead of zippers. This is because accidental zip-ups of sensitive areas are very common during diaper changes at night.
▪ Socks, shoes, and hats. The protection of our babies is always foremost in our minds. As such, it is always important that we dress them accordingly for any kind of weather. Their heads should be protected at all times and their little feet should never be allowed to get cold. When buying socks for your baby layette clothing, choose the ones made of cotton, as they are guaranteed to be soft for your baby’s skin. Soft-soled slip-ons are also great for your baby’s first shoes. Now, when it comes to hats, you should make sure that you buy different ones for warm and cold weather. This is because while sun hats might be ok for sunny days, these could not protect your baby during the cold weather. So when the weather has become wintry, it is best that you don hats with ear flaps on your baby as well as closures to keep them warm and protected.
▪ Everyday wear. In buying baby layette clothing for everyday wear, it is always best to stick to the simple stud like side snap shirts, slip-on pants, and coveralls that could be easily put on and taken off for diaper changes. This way, cleaning your baby would always be easy.
▪ Outer wear. Buying baby layette clothing for your baby to wear during strolls to park or visits to grandma and grandpa is also very important as this would spell the difference when it comes to your baby’s moods. With this, the layering of clothing is always better so you can put on more when it gets colder and take off some when it’s warm. Hooded sweaters over t-shirts are great for warm weather while snowsuits and winter jackets are perfect for the winter.